Let Our Attorneys Provide The Legal Help Your Family Deserves

Should your parent change a will after remarrying?

On Behalf of | Jun 11, 2019 | Wills |

Your father is nearing retirement and wants to ensure he has enough invested to last him through the rest of his life. Your mother passed away years ago, and your father has not shown an interest in entering a new relationship – until now.

A stepmother is a new experience and along with her comes a slew of step-siblings and grandchildren. Your father and mother worked hard to build up their nest egg, but now with this new relationship, is all of that in trouble? It is a good idea to go back and revisit your father’s estate plan after the remarriage.

What if you meet resistance?

Your father may no longer want your input or to involve you in his estate planning. Perhaps he feels you are trying to control his finances or his life in suggesting it. However, you may want to point out that in the case of remarriage at any age, revising a plan is normal. In fact, after any relationship change, an attorney would recommend updating it.

What if your stepmother makes demands?

One of the things you want to take care to avoid is an altercation with your father’s bride. If she is a reasonable person, then she should understand your concerns about ensuring your father’s plans and wishes still get carried out upon his death. However, if you meet resistance, you may have to wait it out.

Can you get a copy of a revised will?

Perhaps you wait to speak with your dad only to find out that he has already revisited his plan. Is it too much to ask that you get a copy? If you are in the will, you may have to wait until your stepmother dies before seeing the will. Typically, wills do not go through probate until the second spouse passes, in which case the heirs receive notification. 

Estate planning can prove stressful, especially after an aging parent remarries. If you have any doubts as to the integrity of your new stepparent, you may want to suggest visiting your estate planning firm to get advice and guidance.